Vinnytsia is the largest city in the historical region of Podillya, the former Podillya principality, and the largest city between Kyiv and Lviv.
The population of the urban agglomeration of Vinnytsia is over 650 thousand people
According to archeological research, Vinnytsia was founded at least in the 13th century, ie the city is a century older than previously thought.
There were at least three fortresses on the territory of Vinnytsia – the first castle behind the modern Old Town Bridge, the second castle on the island of Kemp and the walls of the Dominican monastery, which are partially preserved to this day.
Kemp Island used to be connected to both banks of the Bug by two iron bridges built in 1902. A tram was passing through the island. The remains of the towers of one of the bridges can still be seen near the Roshen fountain.
Between the stairs of Artinov and Brigantina there was another island – Sport, which is now flooded by the waters of the Southern Bug, as a result of the construction of Sabarivskaya HPP. There was a yacht club and a kayak station on the island.
At the beginning of the XX century Kotsyubynsky Avenue was a boulevard with a promenade, on the sides of which trams ran. The boulevard was also part of the modern Soborna street from Independence Square to Gagarin Square, where the Jewish Bazaar was located.
Vinnytsia Water Tower, located on the European Square, has a height of 28 meters and has long been the tallest building in the city. The observation deck at the top of the tower served as a watchtower – fire sentry point.